Wednesday, May 2, 2018

FIELD TRIP - Austria & Italia

Wow, Vienna and Venice were eons ago it seems, but as I scroll through my pictures the memories come flooding back. All of us were very much looking forward to this class field trip, for we were promised nice weather and we were not disappointed! Jan (one of our professors), his son Damian, and Dr. Biggs would be accompanying us to Austria and Italy. Dr. Biggs rattled off Hapsburg history for us in Vienna while Jan gave us a tour of the beautiful city as his 12 year old son simultaneously was in charge of counting all of us American students because we still can't get our crap together long enough for many of us to not get distracted and fall behind or get lost.

  

We got started with a quick tour shortly after we arrived in Vienna, and holy guacamole it was B-E-A-utiful. Yet another place in Europe with awestruck churches (surprise surprise), and such crisp and clean architectural beauties. I know that Zach is the construction management major here, but WOW even I, a peasant in the CM world, can appreciate the construction management that went on in Europe back in the day!



Jan showed us around all the way to St. Stephen's Cathedral and my eyes were entirely overwhelmed. It might be a good thing that my church back home isn't as elaborate as the ones here in Europe because so far during mass I catch myself with my head hanging back, jaw wide open, pretty much gawking through the homily at our representations of heaven on earth. Saint Stephen's had so much to offer that it was overwhelming- but in the best possible way! As you can see, my pictures suck and capture hardly nothing of what I would have liked them too, but I gotta make due with what I got!


I would like to skip to the following day, where we all dressed our best for the royal treasury and one of two massive museums that we would get to visit. The royal treasury contained items that you only see in history books, movies, and bedtime fairytale stories. Holy cow I wanted to touch EVERYTHING. Jan would explain what everything was, and I then took all of my questions to Dr. Biggs (the expert on all things Hapsburg... and basically everything else) and he did his best to try and explain to me the value or worth of the various relics that were claimed to have belonged to Jesus Christ. I hope I finally understood it after a few explanations and a class lecture later- some of the display items were things like the spear that speared Jesus' side, a piece of the tablecloth from the last supper, and splinters from the cross. During the crusades, people began to bring back many, many items that they claimed had belonged to Jesus or saints or what have you- were these the nails that pierced Christ's hands and feet? Well probably not because there are like, 937,038 nails that were brought back claiming to be just that as well. It was explained that this could be an interpretation of faith... it's hard for me to explain and I'm clearly not doing a very good job at it... but basically these people believed that this piece of cloth was present at the last supper so they cased it and jeweled it up and based on their faith that's what it became. I was concerned as to why like, the pope of all people didn't have this stuff at the Catholic headquarters i.e. the Vatican. So were these original relics of Jesus, most likely not, yet it demonstrated the faith of the people.
                     


The next place we visited was up to us between two massive museums of either arts or natural history. Both were exceptional, but being the hardcore art admirer that I am after my one undergraduate online art appreciation class I chose the art museum. (Jokes, all jokes. I know nothing about anything in art but I did take the class and I do have a newfound appreciation!) Again, I wanted to touch everything and I spent WAY too long in the Egyptian sector because I have this thing for ancient writings so after I went as fast as I could through the wing, I went back to take pictures! Zach now puts time limits as to how long I can spend in museums because I'm crazy and want to read everything.


I am going to skip to Venice before this blog gets to be 2,500 words just about Vienna, however I'm not going to make the same promise about Venice. I am first going to go ahead and preface that about 5 people, IF that, still live on Italy's beautiful Venice. I am a contributor to the bajillion tourists who have overrun the little island so much so, that every Italian that one encounters there takes a water taxi to and from Venice every day to open up shops or restaurants or what have you to serve those who come around the world. Do I blame them, absolutely not I would loathe to live in an area that is heavily concentrated by annoying tourists oh my goodness. Jan explained to us that at one point there apparently was some kind of noise law that restricted the sound levels that rolling baggage made on the cobblestones because it just became that overpopulated with non-Italians.
Once you see Venice for yourself though, it's hard to not blame the multitudes of people who visit the place. Yep, its 20x better and more beautiful than our sophisticated iPhone photography can capture.




Again, Jan and his son Damian took to the city as the bewildered American college students followed in awe with this strikingly beautiful little city! The 12 year old had the map and lead us through endless tiny corridors through the buildings and over many canal bridges towards places I can't even remember the names of BECAUSE EVERYTHING WAS JUST SO PRETTY IT WAS HARD TO CONCENTRATE! I did remember St. Marks basilica, and it was a very different church than I'm used to seeing around Europe because of it's Byzantine influence. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures on the inside because I follow the rules whenever I see a no photo sign! So I'm just going to take some photos from the internet instead :)















We then visited the Basilica of Saint Giovanni e Paolo, where I mentioned in my last blog that had the Marian Chapel and WE SAW THE INCORRUPT FOOT OF SAINT CATHERINE OF SIENNA HOW COOL. It was kinda odd I'll admit that, and I can only imagine what was going through non-Catholic minds as Jan was explaining saint relics in Catholicism... and how many different places have different body parts and all of that jazz. Nonetheless this was one of my favorite churches because it was an escape from the loud buzz of crazed tourists outside, and was a much needed reminder of how I even got to be where I was in the first place.












No comments:

Post a Comment